[UPDATED: FEB 2020]
As a seasoned web designer and project manager with over 10+ years of experience, I have helped hundreds of clients go through the process of designing a website. And because, time and time again, people ask me the famous “how-to” questions, I decided to put together a WordPress Web Design Tutorial for all of you interested in the “do-it-yourself” approach. But brace yourself, unless you follow my instructions and do the work required, your website may not be successfully launched in one week’s time.
Over the years, I’ve realized that some clients find the process of launching a website (with or without WordPress) rather daunting or difficult. While others go into the web design process without clearly defining their objectives or goals, which limits how effective their website could be in the long run.
The good news is — building an attractive, user-friendly, and effective website isn’t all that difficult. With the right planning processes and technologies in place, you can create a website that meets and even exceeds your expectations. That means more traffic, more sales, and more profit for your business and brand.
Furthermore, I will not only share the details about the Web Mentor Program that I am launching soon (pre-register now & get a 20% discount at course launch – yes, that’s right) but also give you the essential information you need to design a website with WordPress — the world’s most popular content management system.
LET’S GET STARTED WITH WordPress Tutorial
First things first, the WordPress web design tutorial will cover the following topics:
► Introduction to WordPress, and how to come up with with a master plan (SETUP)
► Gather all the tools necessary to make everything run smoothly (INSTALL)
► Layout and document all the details the future web presence (PLAN)
► Dive into content creation and what it takes to drive traffic to a website (CREATE)
► Test, test, and test until the web site is ready to go live (LAUNCH)
► Look into social media and how it can generate leads (SHARE)
As you can see, this comprehensive course, designed and tested to have your website ready in a week’s time, is ideal for hands-on entrepreneurs, small businesses and anyone who always wanted to design websites with WordPress.
One more question is left before we move on to the WordPress web design tutorial I have promised you before:
WHY USE WORDPRESS?
WordPress is the world’s most popular content management system. It is used to power around 34% of the world’s websites and has a 59.9% market share amongst content management systems.
WordPress has become incredibly popular because it is simple to install, powerful, secure, and highly versatile. You can use WordPress for everything from a personal blog to a large eCommerce website. It is used by some of the world’s biggest companies including Disney, Sony Music, BBC America, & Bloomberg.
The WordPress web design process is fast and simple, thanks to the platform’s powerful theme and plugin systems. The popularity of the platform also makes it is simple to find talented WordPress web design professionals to help you launch a new website or add features to an existing website.
WordPress Web Design Process
Below you will find the steps that should be included in the WordPress web design process. Of course, the Layout To Launch Bootcamp goes into much more detail on each step, giving you all of the information and support you need to launch an attractive, user-friendly and effective website.
WordPress Web Design Tutorial
Congratulations on taking your first step to launch your website with WordPress. Well, we’re not there yet, but at least you are ready to get started with the step by step guide. Now that deserves a round of applause don’t you think? So here it is your WordPress web design tutorial outline:
Day 1 — SETUP
The SETUP stage is about finding the right tool for the job. I will share details of the web software platforms that are useful for creating a professional website as efficiently as possible. Some of the topics covered are:
- What is WordPress and what are the key features?
- Skills you need to design a WordPress website
- What technologies & tools does WordPress require to run? (MySQL, Apache, PHP, SSL, hosting software, payment gateways)
- How to find reliable, secure, and affordable web hosting that is appropriate for your website and the features you require (GoDaddy)
Day 2 — INSTALL
This section of the course will provide you with step-by-step instructions for downloading and installing the software you need for your website. This will include information on:
- How to check that a web host is suitable for your WordPress installation
- Where to obtain WordPress and how to install it
- How to configure and secure WordPress
- How to find and install WordPress resources like plugins and themes
- Information about the best plugins and themes currently available
By the time you have finished this module, you will know how to find the perfect web host, how to install WordPress and related software, and how to configure WordPress.
Day 3 — PLAN
As the saying goes — if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Planning is an essential part of building a website and will determine the success of your project. This module will explain how to plan your website in a way that ensures its success. It will go over:
- Defining the purpose, goals and target audience for your website
- Describing the functionality & structure that your website requires(sitemap & responsive design)
- Defining a timeline for the websites design, development, and initial marketing phases
- Defining a content strategy (will it use blog posts, articles, video, pictures, slideshows)
Day 4 — CREATE
The next stage will delve into the techniques that are used to create your WordPress website. It will explain:
- An in-depth look at the WordPress website creation process
- How to create a wireframe, mockup & graphics for a website
- Insight into planning & adding content to a website
- How to market and optimize the website’s content for search engines
Day 5 — LAUNCH
Before the website launch, I will walk you through the entire website testing process. The part, of course, will explain how to perform WordPress website testing.
- The website launch process from schedule to backup
- How to test websites in different browsers & gadgets to catch design bugs
- What measures to take to secure your website and its content
- Ways to monitor your website’s performance and speed with Google Analytics
Day 6 — SHARE
The last module in the course will take a closer look at marketing your WordPress website using social media marketing. We will explain:
- Why social media is an important tool for marketing your websites
- Different ways to set up an effective presence on various social media platforms
- How to incorporate social media functionality into your website (SM & newsletter)
- How to use social media to improve your brand awareness, authority, and customer service
Day 7 — Your WordPress Website is LIVE
Time to celebrate! By now you have completed all the steps to launch your new website … take some time to pad yourself on your shoulder and start planning your next steps. It’s great to have a website up and running but the “do-it-yourself” approach also requires you to put aside some time to regularly backup/update your website (also covered in-depth in my FREE email course).
Time to show off your new website
Wait, you didn’t get to launch your websites yet? Perhaps you need more “step by step” guidance? Worry not, I’ve got you covered with my Layout To Launch Bootcamp. Sign up now for my FREE WordPress Bootcamp via email that will give you all the instructions you need to go from Layout to Launch in no time.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been completely revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.